Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Teacher of English to start on August 14, 2019. We’re looking for a teacher who cares deeply about the welfare of our students, works collaboratively with colleagues, and is deeply committed to developing an inclusive community. As a private boarding school, Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty. We also offer an outstanding working environment, excellent benefits, and students who are eager to learn.
• The primary classroom responsibility will be to teach the various levels of English and American Literature and Language appropriate for a secondary school.
• Supervise co-curicular activities (e.g. varsity or sub-varsity teams, community service activities, clubs, publications, etc.)
• Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
Qualifications & Requirements
• A minimum of five years of experience teaching English at the high school or college level.
• A master’s degree in literature is preferred.
• Interest and demonstrated skill working with adolescents is essential.
• The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive within a lively and fast-paced workplace, a sense of humor. and the ability to work as part of a team.
• Demonstrated multicultural competency.
• The desire to live and work in a residential academic community.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 130 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
The school is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.