Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Brooklyn, NY United States
Expeditions & Enrichment Operations Associate, Team Greenfield|
Start Date: Spring or Summer 2019
Location: Brooklyn, NY, Providence, RI, or New Haven, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates over 30 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates more than 12,600 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country.
In 2015, Achievement First launched an innovative school model that we call Greenfield. Greenfield is ground-up redesign of the middle and high school with the goal of dramatically increasing college persistence. In fall 2019 we will open our fifth Greenfield Campus. Achievement First’s Greenfield schools provide rigorous, high-quality instruction within a nurturing school community focused on developing self-motivated learners, problem-solvers and leaders. Greenfield is currently focused on grades 5-7 and growing to 8th grade in 20-21 and HS in the 21-22 school year. Our students benefit from:
● Self-directed work powered by a Personalized Learning Platform.
● Rigorous and rewarding core academic classes.
● Twice daily enrichments of scholar choice.
● Hands-on, experiential learning that deepens and extends what students learn in the classroom through two-week long expeditions three times a year.
● Social emotional learning and small-group mentoring to develop social-emotional skills and goal setting skills.
● Student curated dream teams that consist of teachers, family members and other significant influencers in a scholar’s life. This team works to help scholars achieve scholar goals.
● Intervention built into the fabric of the school day.
● An awesomely powerful community where school, home and the broader community link arms in support of scholar development and achievement.
At Greenfield, we strive to ensure all scholars excel on our four College Success Factors:
● Academical Preparation: Our students will ALL achieve at the highest levels – they’ll be competitive with the best students in the US and abroad and fully prepared for the rigors of college coursework.
● Academical Independence: Students can become the agents of their success through ownership and personalization.
● Social Emotional Strength: Habits of success can and should be taught. Students need to experience the joy and excellence that comes from enrichment outside of traditional academics.
● Personal Why: A deeply held and individually developed personal drive to achieve grounded in personal interests and motivation.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Expeditions & Enrichment at Greenfield
Expeditions are two week mini-courses that give students new and exciting learning experiences - a hands on, real-world taste of career and college options. Expeditions aim to spark student passions and give them a chance to learn more about themselves. The end of expeditions showcase is a chance for students to cultivate presentation skills and build awesomely powerful community as families come to school and celebrate their learning. Greenfield students have 3 rounds of expeditions each year.
Greenfield schools also have robust enrichment programs. Students get to choose two disciplines from 6 options offered at each school - one physical education course (dance, sports, or martial arts) and one other enrichment course (theater, band, or coding & robotics). These courses meet during the regular school day for the entire year, enabling students to develop deep performance skill. Through intensive daily practice and a multi-year commitment, students are able to pursue excellence. In enrichment, students become more than scholars - they become flutists and trombonists, robotics engineers, Hip Hop dancers, and martial arts masters.
At Greenfield, we want students to love school. We want students to explore their interests and cultivate a strong sense of community. We want them to reflect and gain insight into their passions, and feel a sense of pride in their expertise and skills. That’s what expeditions and enrichment is all about.
The Expeditions & Enrichment Operations Associate role is an exciting opportunity for a former educator or education professional with planning, community outreach, communication, coordination, and event management experience to work closely with a high performing, innovative team. The associate plays a key role in supporting the work of Greenfield Expeditions, working closely with curriculum designers, network leaders, principals, and directors of school operations to roll out dozens of project-based learning experiences across Brooklyn, New Haven, and Providence.
The core function of this role is to research and develop partnerships with professionals, businesses, organizations, and institutions in our communities, for the purpose of curating transformative on-and off-site learning experiences for our students.
The Expeditions & Enrichment Operations Associate will manage complex workflows and navigate time-sensitive high-priority tasks and projects. They will drive the execution of project plans, scheduling, logistics, communication, and operations for Expeditions and Enrichment programming across the year. They will also drive assessment and documentation of the Expeditions and Enrichment programs, such as by analyzing survey data, editing videos, and crafting posts for the organization’s social media accounts. As the person in this role masters and excels at these responsibilities, they will take on small and large-scale projects with increasing autonomy.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
● Community Outreach: Building and managing partnerships with local businesses, institutions, and organizations. This work includes:
• Researching, booking, and managing communication and payment for Expeditions guest educators and field lesson sites across our three regions
• Partnering with professionals in the arts to facilitate enrichment trainings over the course of the year
• Evaluating community partnerships to inform future programming decisions
● Operations Management: Managing logistics for Expeditions and Enrichment to happen successfully at schools. Operations work includes:
• Driving the execution of project plans for school-based stakeholders.
• Facilitating meetings with key players and hold others accountable to meeting deadlines.
• Executing purchasing for Expeditions programming at schools
• Booking transportation for field lessons
• Revising planning documents for school operations staff and supporting them to effectively utilize them
• Communicating Expeditions and Enrichment budget information to school operations staff
• Providing in-person Expeditions execution support to new Greenfield schools
● Assessment & Documentation: Synthesizing and analyzing survey data, editing videos, and crafting posts for the organization’s social media accounts. This work includes:
• Updating and finalizing surveys for school-based students and staff
• Analyzing student and staff data to inform program improvements
• Developing and executing a strategy for documenting exemplar Expeditions and Enrichment instruction, presentations and performances.
• Editing photos and videos to prepare for internal and external use.
• Coordinating with other network support teammates to strategize sharing Expeditions & Enrichment documentation internally and externally
● Team Expeditions & Enrichment Administrative Support: Supporting the administrative functions of the Expeditions & Enrichment team. This work includes:
• Scheduling team meetings, managing a wide variety of requests, and completing additional administrative tasks (such as processing reimbursements, making travel arrangements, ordering supplies, drafting communications, and preparing materials for conference calls and meetings).
• Creating and maintaining systems for the management of complex administrative tasks, and independently problem-solving, researching options, and proposing solutions or adaptations when challenges arise.
• Directly managing the Greenfield Expeditions & Enrichment team calendar and email account.
Skills and Characteristics and Beliefs
● Passion for community engagement and building partnerships
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
● Solid technical skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and G Suite applications (Docs, Sheets, etc.).
● A proven track record in learning new technologies quickly.
● A track record of developing and maintaining personal organization systems for managing multiple workflows: being highly responsive in communication, prioritizing time-sensitive tasks, and completing tasks quickly while maintaining quality of work
● A track record of managing projects start to finish to achieve desired outcomes – both independent projects and those involving multiple stakeholders and performers
● A track record of identifying and taking initiative to resolve problems
● Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
● Growth-oriented, with a thirst for feedback and desire to improve
● Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
● Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter with the job title in the subject line to: email@example.com
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
Qualifications & Requirements
Educational Background and Work Experience
● Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university
● A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience as an educator or in a related field working directly with schools
● Experience in community outreach: working with institutions, organizations, and businesses. (Experience in Brooklyn, New Haven, or Providence preferred).
● Experience in project management: coordinating tasks and communication to achieve a set vision or goal
Special Work Requirements
Some evening and weekend work may be required. The position is based in Brooklyn, NY, Providence, RI or New Haven, CT. Moderate to extensive travel between these 3 regions will be necessary.