|| Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing, Engineering, Finance/Economics, Government and Policy, Information Technology, Real Estate, Sales, Science, Transportation, Executive Management, Research & Development, Environmental, Energy / Utilities
Senior Transportation Planner/Engineer|
VHB’s growing Metro DC operation is looking for a Senior Transportation Planner to join our team. This opportunity is for either our Tysons, VA or Washington, DC office location.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
VHB’s Metro DC team has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic, highly organized, Senior Transportation Planner to join our experienced team of planners, engineers, and scientists. As a key member of our VHB transportation organization, this person will be responsible for winning and executing transportation planning and design projects and directing a team of planners and engineers. The ideal candidate should possess a “can-do” attitude, excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to manage projects and mentor the transportation planning staff, and have significant responsibility in business development, client management, and financial accountability.
- Play a key role in the growth of VHB transportation planning practice and provide new business development initiatives.
- Serve as the project manager or task leader on planning and design of complex multi-modal transportation projects, including the following project types: conduct alternatives analysis for transportation networks, corridors, and intersections; evaluate BRT/LRT corridors; transit feasibility studies; operational and safety studies; neighborhood and campus transportation studies involving transit, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, parking, and transportation demand management; as well as stakeholder and public participation strategy development and implementation
- Maintain and grow relationships with our regional, local, and private sector clients
- Manage multiple, simultaneous projects with various topics and complexity levels
- Develop, maintain and update project budgets and schedules
- Lead development of project deliverables and provide quality management
- Work directly with clients and deliver superior service
- Manage project finances and contract requirements
- Conduct technical analysis and prepare project reports
- Take an active role in business development and identify transportation prospects
- Develop technical proposals and prepare fee proposals
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations
- Represent VHB at conferences, seminars, and industry organizations and events
Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in innovative planning initiatives including megacities, smart growth, new urbanism, multimodal facilities, and sustainability
- Ability to manage complex projects of multidisciplinary nature
- Strong client relationship management expertise
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Understanding traffic operations, capacity, and safety as it relates to transportation planning studies
- Active in regional industry organizations
- Public outreach and community presentations experience
- Bachelors’ degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Transportation Planning or equivalent, Masters’ degree preferred
- The successful candidate will have 15-30+ years of relevant experience in transportation planning with at least 5 years as a project manager or task leader
- P.E. license, AICP, and/or PTP certification
- Experience working major transportation agencies in the VA and Metro DC area preferred
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.