Electronic/Audiovisual Services Librarian|
Contra Costa College
Electronic/Audiovisual Services Librarian
Job Number: F00499
Salary: $59,616 - $89,724/ yearly
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.4cdcareers.net/postings/5588
Description of Position
Contra Costa College is seeking an enthusiastic, creative and service-oriented librarian for a full-time position starting in January 2019. The successful applicant will be a flexible, team-oriented person who is able to work both independently and collaboratively in an ever-changing environment. The person filling the position will have primary responsibility for coordinating the electronic and audiovisual services of the Contra Costa College library. The position is also responsible for regularly scheduled hours at the reference desk and for the preparation and presentation of general and specific library.
Serving predominately Latinx students and African American students, Contra Costa College is situated in a socioeconomically diverse, resilient and culturally vibrant community. As a proud Hispanic Serving Institution, we seek candidates who embrace our community, our student population, and our central work: strengthening West County by meeting our students where they are and helping them get to where they want to be. We seek a colleague who operates with a growth mindset, a strength-based approach centered on students, and an unflinching commitment to equity, especially concerning the elimination of barriers to college access, success, and completion. The ideal candidate will be eager to help construct and maintain a culture of continuous improvement in instructional effectiveness, student service, and leadership.
Primary responsibility in coordinating the electronic services of the Library, which includes:
o Coordinate the trails, purchase and implementation of electronic database including eBooks.
o Troubleshoot and maintain electronic databases and Library system at the local level
o Maintain the Library’s web presence
o Work collaboratively with district- wide libraries on shared proxy server and other related electronic resource and service issues
o Applying digital technologies to support and increase access to Library resources
o Train staff and librarians on new electronic resources as well as new system features and procedures
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will engage in a full range of reference, library instruction, collection management and outreach activities. In addition to contractual duties, all faculty are expected to participate actively in their disciplines, department activities, and the general intellectual life and governance of the college. Part of the assignment may be in the evening and/or online. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. providing vision, direction, and leadership in the development, delivery, and assessment of all Library instructional efforts for campus-based and distance education;
2. providing reference service and instruction on the use of print and electronic information resources to students, faculty, staff and the community;
3. participating in the collection, development and implementation of print and electronic information resources and services;
4. providing course related library instruction;
5. collaborating with faculty on assignments, collection needs, and integration of information literacy into the college curriculum;
6. developing library collections in the assigned subject areas;
7. contributing to the development and maintenance of the Library’s web page;
8. maintaining current knowledge in the field of Library Science and Information Management;
9. participating in department, college committees, and College’s shared governance process;
10. participating in professional development activities;
11. maintaining of appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
12. performing other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
Master’s in library science, library and information science,
A valid lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential authorizing full-time librarianship
OR the equivalent. (If you do not possess the listed degrees, you must complete the equivalency form provided in the online application.)
• A working knowledge and experience with an integrated online library system, preferably Innovative Interfaces
• Familiarities with and use of Internet technologies in the library setting and web programming, including Web 2.0 tools
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
• Demonstrated experience with electronic databases
• Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a website
• Demonstrated ability to create and maintain digital tools for e-learning such as blogs, wikis, vod -casts etc.
• Experience as a reference librarian
• Demonstrated experience teaching library workshops, particularly those that develop information literacy skills
• Ability to work effectively with students, faculty and staff
• Evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to meet deadlines for assigned reports and activities
• Demonstrated leadership ability and willingness to participate in collegial governance
• Experience working with library technical services
It is the District’s policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identity, race, color, ancestry, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, parental status, citizenship or because an individual is perceived to have one or more of these characteristics or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.