Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||West Hartford, CT United States
|| Education and Library
Assistant Professor, Education - Literacy in Elementary, Special, Early Childhood Education|
The Department of Education at the University of Saint Joseph invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor beginning August 2019. The person in this position will have expertise and teaching responsibilities in the area of literacy, and will teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the elementary, early childhood, and special education programs.
The Department of Education, the largest department in the School of Arts, Science, Business and Education, consists of Early Childhood/Special Education, Special Education, Elementary, and Secondary Programs. It has a long-standing reputation for developing high quality educators in Connecticut, and is home to over 20 faculty and staff committed to social justice, to inclusive school communities, and to the preparation of school leaders who reflect a scholar-practitioner stance.
The department currently serves approximately 600 students (undergraduate, graduate) on the university's main campus, and in M.A. and career transition programs offered at sites throughout the state of Connecticut in collaboration with the K-12 Alliance. Programs within the department require strong field and clinical experiences, reflect a commitment to partnerships with public schools and other agencies, and utilize both online and face-to-face approaches. Clinical experiences often include working with students in the Gengras Center, a campus-based laboratory school serving elementary, middle, high school and transition- aged students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, autism and related behavioral challenges from more than 50 Connecticut and Massachusetts towns.
The university is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). The Department of Education is approved by the Connecticut State Department of Education, and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Qualifications & Requirements
Required Skills/ Qualifications
• Earned doctorate in education or related field. ABD considered, with clear timeline for completion
• Teaching and research expertise in evidence-based literacy practices
• Experience in K-12 education, specifically working with diverse learners and English learners.
• Experience teaching undergraduate and graduate teacher candidates
• Commitment to collaboration in University and community contexts
• Potential for and/or established line of research
• Strong commitment to social justice
Preferred Skills/ Qualifications
• Experience in teaching students with and without disabilities in grades K-6
• Teacher certification in Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education and/or Special Education a related field
• Certification Endorsement in Reading (or equivalent), such as 102: Remedial Reading, 097: Reading and Language Arts Consultant, 096: Reading Consultant K-8
• Knowledge and experience in structured literacy instruction
• Experience with accreditation (e.g., CAEP)
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The review of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, materials should be received by January 1, 2019. For additional information about the University of Saint Joseph, please visit http://www.usj.edu
The University of Saint Joseph, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in the Catholic tradition, provides a rigorous liberal arts and professional education for a diverse student population in an inclusive environment that encourages strong ethical values, personal integrity, and a sense of responsibility to the needs of society.
Ideally situated midway between Boston and New York City, the beautiful 84-acre Olmsted-designed campus is one mile from West Hartford’s thriving downtown, and provides an array of cultural events, occasions for spiritual development, and fitness and recreational options. The University also has an active presence outside our campus, reaching into the surrounding community through internships, community service projects, new program and partnerships.
Please visit our employer showcase!