Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Tiffany & Co.
||New York, NY US
|| Construction, Mining and Trades, Engineering, Information Technology, Manufacturing and Production, Executive Management, Research & Development
The Model Maker, Jewelry Design & Innovation Workship will support all aspects related to JDIW projects. Primary responsibility will be on physically translating design concepts into reality. The position will focus on ensuring design and product integrity throughout the design lifecycle for all projects flowing through the JDIW. The position will include 5 Key Accountabilities including Prototype & File Creation, Communication, Support for Cross Functional Partners, Collaboration & Leadership, Technology Leader. Functions under each Key Accountability will be compliant with Universal Performance Accountabilities (Strategy, Innovation & Creativity; Execution & Product Excellence; Collaboration & Partnerships; and Expertise & Judgment) and Key Performance Accountabilities specific to the position itself, including Formal Training and Advanced Knowledge & Experience.
Prototype & File Creation:
- The Model Maker will interface with Design Creative, Manufacturing & JDIW teams (CAD, Quality & Standards, Engineering) on product functionality, and technical design elements including form, style, details and materials.
- The primary function of the Model Maker is to translate Design Concepts into reality by physically constructing mock-ups, prototypes, templates and models (when needed) .
- Physically construct Finished Goods Level Physical Models (Prototypes & Mock-Ups) for new products, existing products (reverse engineering), and line extensions based on direction from Design Development and Design, while adhering to project time-lines and delivery dates.
- Ensure ALL models created are in keeping with Tiffany best practices and Manufacturing standards (e.g., metal is not too thin for safety or functionality, clasps function, etc.)
- In consultation with CAD Production Designers, provide initial direction on component breakout, construction, and methods of fabrication for the Critical Requirements Document
- Provide timely and innovative solutions to complex mechanical problems, at any point in the production life-cycle
- Adhere to timelines and accurate completion of projects. Communicate effectively to keep team updated on project status, issues, and concerns. Identify potential barriers to meeting completion timelines as soon as they arise
- Appropriately manage all WO, Inventory Control and job bag procedures
- Establish and monitor individual time-lines, and ensure adherence to overall project timelines and accurate completion of projects.
- Identify and communicate potential barriers to meeting completion timelines as soon as they arise. Keep management updated on project status
- Communicate effectively to keep team updated on project status, issues, and concerns. Identify potential barriers to meeting completion timelines as soon as they arise
- Provide ongoing direction during prototyping and initial sampling phases including but not limited to: Verbal or hands-on direction & clarification; working with CAD Production Designers, Engineers & suppliers to provide alternative manufacturing approaches to align with manufacturing capabilities and still maintain design integrity; Other direction/support as required
- Proactively flag critical issues for consideration that may impact design and/or design aesthetic when creating and transferring Mock-Ups, Soft Prototypes, and at any point in the production life-cycle
- Proactively flag critical issues for consideration that may impact manufacturing and/or quality of final product (e.g., meeting of tolerances, reliability between 3D FG WIP CAD and final product) when creating and transferring Mock-ups, Soft Prorotypes, and at any point in the production life-cycle
Support for Cross Functional Partners:
- Interface with Director, Manager, Designers and cross-functional departments on project direction, review of Concept Art / CAD timelines and issues
- Proactively provide mechanical/technical design leadership amongst coworkers. Communicate with JDIW counterparts on risks and opportunities
- Archive appropriately, organize and maintain shared files
- Support internal and external suppliers as needed by the project team to demonstrate product requirements and techniques
- Aid in the creation of Work Instructions for internal and external suppliers
- Collaboration and LeadershipLeadership:
Provide initial direction/ advice on construction, methods of fabrication for prototypes, costing and technical documentation.
Significant Model Making training and experience (with at least 10,000hrs of hands-on model making)
- Manufacturing knowledge of jewelry and/or other related industries
- Extensive experience working with jewelry materials (e.g., precious metals, and gemstones/diamonds
- Significant experience building, repairing, and troubleshooting metalsmithing/materials manufacturing processes while maintaining design integrity
- Experience applying formal training/skillset to developing a successful design/collection
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong team player with a high level of professionalism
Ability to adapt and meet urgent timelines under high demand conditions
Bachelors degree or diploma in Jewelry Design, Jewlery Arts, Industrial or Fashion Design, or Engineering
Formal creative design training and experience, with a high degree of aesthetic sensibility
Tiffany & Co.|