Head Coach-Basketball (170046)|
Polk State College is located in beautiful Central Florida between the metropolitan areas of Tampa and Orlando. It boasts a relaxed lifestyle with affordable housing. Polk County is noted to be one of most affordable place to live in the United States by the National Home Builders Association. With campuses in Lakeland and Winter Haven and centers in Bartow, Lake Wales and Lakeland, Polk State College serves over 20,000 students. We seek diverse faculty and staff with a student-centered focus to support our service excellence mission and our world class vision. Employees at Polk State College enjoy excellent employee benefits, a unique workplace environment, and the opportunity to contribute to the services and traditions that make Polk State great. For additional information on the opportunity, please refer to the Job ad, as well as the Salary Schedule located under “Employment Related Documents” on our “Careers” page.
About the Opportunity:
At Polk State, our amazing faculty and staff create an inspiring workplace. The Head Coach for men's basketball position reports to the Director of Athletics and provides an exceptional opportunity to promote the success of our student-athletes, both in the classroom and on the court. We offer a collaborative, creative and culturally diverse work environment. If you want to be supported in your efforts to grow professionally and to be recognized for your contributions, then come work for Polk State.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Coach is responsible for planning and administering all aspects of the men's basketball program. The position is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the program, the maintenance of a genuine student-athlete concept, and the personal development of student-athletes academic and athletic success. The Head Coach will follow all rules and regulations pertaining to the program and appropriate governing organizations, including the Florida College System Activities Association, the National Junior College Athletics Association and the Mid-Florida Conference.
- Coordinates the development and promotion of the basketball program.
- Organizes and schedules practice sessions to teach sports techniques, game rules, strategies and game tactics.
- Develops and manages a recruiting plan with a strong emphasis on local recruiting. Corresponds with high school coaches, contacts prospective student-athletes, evaluates talent and meets with prospective students. Maintains statistics on contacts and evaluations.
- Develops strategies to motivate maximum individual and team athletic performance.
- Creates a learning community within the department that fosters student success.
- Creates an environment that values diversity and inclusion.
- Serves as an Academic Success Coach in all matters for student-athletes.
- Assists with the retention of First Time in College students.
- Monitors academic progress and eligibility status for student-athletes.
- Ensures student-athletes are on track to graduate and/or transfer.
- Maintains records of scholarship allocations as approved by the President.
- Processes National Junior College Athletic Association Letters of Intent cancellations and transfer waivers for approval by the Director of Athletics.
- Manages the assigned program with practice and game schedules, travel arrangements, study halls and eligibility requirements.
- Supervises student-athletes during practice, contests, and travel.
- Coordinates summer camps for community youth.
- Assists with fundraising and promotions to assist in supporting the program. Works with the team to develop community service projects.
- Works cooperatively with all other sports programs ensure college-wide coordination of the basketball program.
- Maintains knowledge of current sport game rules and changes to those rules as they occur.
- Attends state and national meetings for assigned athletics to represent Polk State College.
This position is a level P15.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Ability to work independently on broader assignments with future planning responsibilities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with college personnel.
- Instructional experience in a public education setting.
- Knowledge of the Florida education system preferred.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of athletic program management.
- Ability to organize and communicate orally and in writing with students, fellow workers and others outside of the college.
- Ability to inspire student-athletes to pursue academic success.
- Ability to manage and work with a variety of diverse groups.
- Thorough knowledge of basketball game rules.
- Recruiting Skills
- Thorough knowledge of Title IX requirements and compliance responsibilities
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree is required.
A bachelor’s degree in the field of athletics is preferred.
At least two years of basketball coaching experience is required. This may include experience as an assistant coach at the college level or as head coach at the high school level.
We offer an excellent employer-paid benefits package including the following: Medical, Dental, Life, Long-Term Disability, Vacation (except faculty), Holiday and Sick Leave, Retirement (if eligible) and college fee waivers. Other employee-paid, voluntary benefits (vision, short-term disability, etc.) are also available.
- Application Requirements: A completed online application consists of:
- a resume, and
- an electronic job application (all sections completed).
Submissions that do not include all required information will not be considered.
- Background Screening: Reference checks, successful completion of a Level II background check (fingerprinting), and third-party Education Verification for all stated degrees will be required prior to employment.
- Non-Instructional Transcripts: For professional/salaried positions, uploading of unofficial transcript(s) (with confidential information redacted) during the hiring process is welcomed, but not required.
- Foreign Transcripts: Faculty with international degrees must have their coursework evaluated in terms of U.S. "equivalency." Polk State College requires that all international credential evaluations be conducted by one of the companies affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES®). More information about NACES® affiliates can be obtained at the NACES® website.
- Submission of official transcripts will be required as a condition of employment following receipt of job offer.
- Veterans’ Preference: Eligible applicants must use the Documentation Form to apply for Veterans’ Preference for positions in qualifying categories. All required documentation (Polk State Veteran’s Preference Documentation Form and the DD-214) must be submitted with the completed application for consideration.
- As a general rule, Polk State College does not provide H1-B visa sponsorship. Exceptions may be made based on the College's need for a candidate with unique skills and expertise and where the College cannot otherwise recruit and hire qualified non-sponsored candidates.
- Relocation: Polk State College does NOT provide relocation assistance for this position.
- This position will close at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, March 31, 2017.
NOTE: We encourage applicants to provide feedback of their experience or request help at Careers@polk.edu.
As a general rule, Polk State College does not provide H1-B visa sponsorship. Exceptions may be made based on the College's need for a candidate with unique skills and expertise and where the College cannot otherwise recruit and hire qualified non-sponsored candidates.
Polk State College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, disability, or pregnancy in its programs, activities, or employment. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Valparisa Baker, Director, Equity & Diversity (Title IX Coordinator), 999 Avenue H, NE, Winter Haven, FL 33881, Office: WAD 227, 863.292.3602 Ext. 5378, email@example.com.
Polk State College is a drug-free workplace and participates in E-Verify.
Polk State College is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities. If you feel you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with Polk State, please call 863-297-1070 or e-mail Careers@polk.edu and let us know the nature of your request, along with your contact information. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.
Submitting a resume online at an alternate job site could cause valuable screening information to be missed. A Polk State College eApplication is required in order to be considered for the position.
For additional information, please visit our web site at www.polk.edu or apply directly at: http://polkstate-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=827&company_id=16397&jobboardid=690